The field of Food Technology becomes the newest addition to the number of professions currently regulated by the Professional Regulation Commission, with the signing of the Republic Act No. 110521, also known as “Philippine Food Technology Act”/ last June 29, 2018 by President Rodrigo R. Duterte. Under the law, the newly created Board of Food Technology is tasked to promulgate, administer, and enforce rules and regulations as well as supervise and regulate the registration, licensure and practice of food technology in the country.
The coverage of the practice of Food Technology shall include the following:
- Identification of the appropriate specifications of raw materials and supervision over their procurement;
- Supervision of food processing operations;
- Evaluation of the microbiological, physical, chemical, sensory, and functional properties of food;
- Certification of the analysis of microbiological, physical, chemical, sensory, and functional properties of food;
- Technical transactions (e.g. sale, trading) of food , food ingredients and additives, and machineries, equipment, and implements used in safe and quality food production and distribution;
- Conduct of basic and applied research towards development and/or improvement of the safety and quality of food products;
- Teaching, lecturing, and reviewing of professional subject in the curriculum of the Bachelor of Science in Food Technology degree or subject in the food technology licensure examination given in any college, university, or training or review center, or any other educational institution or certification body;
- Compliance with food laws and regulations in manufacturing and distribution of foods in the local and international market;
- Implementation of quality management systems (food safety, laboratory management, quality requirements and quality audit);
- Provision of assistance in waste management for environmental safety;
- Consultation work related to any or all of the above functions; and
- Procurement of chemicals, reagents, equipment, apparatus, and other materials for the conduct of food analysis, research and development.
The Commission is continuously responding to its core mandate through the determination of the competence of our Filipino professionals in view of the global recognition.
The nomination for the members of the Professional Regulatory Board of Food Technology is now open. To see the full qualifications, please check the RA 110521, Section 7.