The promulgation of Presidential Decree No. 1006 on September 22, 1976 formally organized the
National Board for Teachers (NBT). Directly under the supervision of the Civil Service Commission,
the NBT was the first board to exercise regulatory exercise over the teaching profession.
On December 16, 1994 the regulation and licensing of teachers was transferred to the PRC
through the enactment of Republic Act No. 7836, otherwise known as “The Philippine Teachers
Professionalization Act of 1994.” The law provided for the professionalization of teaching under
the aegis of the PRC.
Pursuant to the law, the first Board for Professional Teachers (BPT) was constituted on
September 19, 1995 with the appointment of Dr. Nilo L. Rosas as Chairman, Dr. Aurelio O. Elevazo
as Vice-Chairman and Dr. Lucila F. Tibigar, Dr. Fe A. Hidalgo and Dr. Martha A. Mogol as Members.
On August 1996, the Board and the PRC administered the
Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) for the first time to
97,560 examinees. In 1997, 101,348 examinees took the
LET, a record in the history of professional regulation. In
1998, a total of 115,499 took the LET, and in 1999, 123,025.
In 1996, the Board also administered the first licensure
examination for school superintendents, the results of which
were released five (5) days after the examination date.
Today, teachers constitute more than half a million, comprising
one of the largest occupational groups in the country.
Visit webpage of other Boards