Board of Optometry

History

By virtue of Public Act No. 2245 enacted on February 11, 1913, the Board of Optical Examiners was created and placed under the Department of Interior. With the reorganization of the government in 1932, the Board was then attached to the Department of Public Instruction.

On June 22, 1957, Republic Act No. 1998, entitled “An Act to Regulate the Practice of Optometry in the Philippines,” was enacted repealing Chapter 33 and Section 2680 of the Administrative Code.

The law was later repealed and superseded by Republic Act No. 8050, entitled “An Act Regulating the Practice of Optometry, Upgrading Optometric Education, Integrating Optometrists, and for Other Purposes,” enacted on June 7, 1995. This law provides for a six-year Optometry Course. The first year of implementation started during the school year 1998-1999.

Under this Act, competence in Pharmacology was required of persons who have been admitted to the practice of Optometry before the passage of Republic Act 8050. They must take a course in Pharmacology to be prescribed by the Commission on Higher Education and pass a Special Certification Examination in Ocular Pharmacology for optometrists to be administered by the Board, before they are allowed to use specific diagnostic pharmaceutical agents.




Information Visit webpage of other Boards













Official Gazette
Open Data Portal