Board of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

History

The practice of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering started to flourish in the country in 1942 when Rufino J. Martinez introduced boat-building and ship repair in Navotas, Rizal.

Five years later, the National Shipyard and Steel Corporation, the biggest and most modern shipyard at the time, built the 10,000-ton Graving Dock in Mariveles, Bataan for ship repair and 2,300- ton slipway for ship building. Several other vessels were constructed and repaired by Filipino practitioners, including oil tankers, tugboats, barges, aluminum alloy and steel patrol boats, and other multi-purpose naval vessels.

During this time, the Philippines ranked second in the Asian shipbuilding industry, next to Japan. The Filipino Naval Architects and Marine Engineers were also the first to design and built the two inter-island cargo passenger vessels of 1,750 tons.

Seeing the need to regulate the growing practice of naval architecture and marine engineering in the country, the Philippine Association of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (PANAME) lobbied in Congress for the passage of the bill for the regulation of the practice of the profession. On June 19, 1965, Republic Act No. 4565, otherwise known as “The Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Law,” was enacted. The law created the Board of Examiners for Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, initially composed of: Jesus J. Battad as Chairman, with Cipriano C. Bautista and Brigido R. Mungcal as Members.




Information Visit webpage of other Boards













Official Gazette
Open Data Portal