On December 5, 1929, Public Act No. 3626 was passed into law providing for a Board of
Examiners for Surveyors. The Board was composed of five members, most of whom were
practicing surveyors. Vicente Mills was appointed Chairman with Demetrio Andres, Antonio
Manahan, Juan Coronado, and Ambrosio Zamora as Members.
Created to maintain a corps of academically and morally qualified professionals in their field, the
Board administered three kinds of examinations – for private land, cadastral land, and mineral land
Pursuant to the Reorganization Law of 1932, the Board was placed under the stewardship of the
Bureau of Civil Service. The Board at the time was composed of Vicente Mills as Chairman, with
Juan Coronado and Raymundo Kagahastian as Members.
Geodetic engineering was not recognized as a profession until the enactment of Republic Act No.
4374, the “Geodetic Engineering Law,” on June 19, 1965. Under the Act, any person who was
technically and legally qualified to practice geodetic engineering shall be called “Geodetic Engineer”
superseding the term “Surveyor.”
Republic Act No. 4374 was later amended by Presidential Decree No. 202 issued on June 2, 1973
and Presidential Decree No. 335 signed on November 13, 1973. When the PRC was created on
June 22, 1973, the Board was constituted with Julian V. Santos as Chairman, and Antonio A.
Mansueto and Godofredo Limbo as Members.
On February 26, 1998, Republic Act No. 8560, otherwise known as the “Philippine Geodetic
Engineering Act of 1998,” was passed into law removing the licensure examinations for Junior
Geodetic Engineers (JGE) and allowing the present JGEs to practice until five years after the
effectivity of the Act.
Visit webpage of other Boards